Thursday, June 6, 2013

Camp Epiphanies


            For those of you that aren’t affiliated with McNair, we recently returned from a graduate school “boot camp” in Kentucky. Check out Lake Barkley, Kentucky! Can you say gorgeousss?! The camp focused on a variety of topics such as your personal statement, finding your “fit” in a graduate program, interviews and how to select your mentors. It was a lot to consume in a short period of time! But I am so grateful I was able to attend and soak up those rays of knowledge. In the same vein of learning, I also had a few epiphanies from my time spent at camp…
            First, I realized that applying and selecting a graduate program should be treated as a business transaction. You’ve got to walk the walk and talk the talk to be viewed as a valuable asset to whatever university you’re applying to. You can easily make up for poor GRE scores or average GPAs by properly formatting your personal statement. Don Asher does an incredible job of assisting applicants in these areas. Check him out!
            Secondly, I realized that clinical psychology is probably not the best fit for me. First and foremost, the programs are extremely competitive with not a lot of funding to be provided. This is a huge determinant for me…I need that $$$! In addition, the more I look into clinical programs the less attracted to the practice I am. I’ve recently been considering either a PhD in counseling psychology or a Masters in social work. That still has to be explored further. I’m really trying to be as logical as possible when I look into programs because I was very naïve when I came to Central Michigan University. I have no regrets in this decision because it’s brought me to the incredible, blessed position I am standing in now but I certainly could have been more thorough in the beginning. But hey, I didn’t know any better!
            Lastly (and most important in my eyes), I realized that…ready for this one? I DESERVE THIS! I deserve to get into a bomb graduate school program, with awesome funding and in a cool location. I have been working on eliminating feelings of guilt for my success/intelligence/abandoning my family for over a year or so now. Anyone who knows me knows that this epiphany is a big deal J And you know what? You deserve any happiness/success that you’re receiving now too! Don’t ever be hung up on things outside of your control. By living and breathing that as my creed I have been able to shed a lot of guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment