Sunday, May 19, 2013

My Fellow Scholars

This post is meant for me to address my McNair cohort on a personal level. Before I go into individual addresses, I'd like to address my cohort as a whole. I am going through a lot of growth this summer (hence my blog title) and I just want to thank all of you for the summer we're about to experience. I anticipate that every one of you will teach me something about myself. We have such an eclectic, intellectual group and I am very proud to call myself a part of it :)

Okay sooo, I've decided to exercise my creative muscle and give each one of you a band that reminds me of you.

  • Rob: I'd have to give you the Xx. I choose this band for you because they have a lot of integrity as a band. I think this because their skill comes from their actual music, not lyrics so much. They are a band of few lyrics overall (until you dive in and listen more) and that reminded me of you because you can come off as shy. Although you come off as shy, once you start a conversation there is a lot of intellect and insight to be given. Which is very similar to the Xx.
  • Jayson: Maroon 5. I choose this band for you because like Maroon 5 you are very happy and genuine but also hold a deeper meaning. I hope I can get to know that meaning better :)
  • Jim: I have to give you Mumford! Partially because we've talked a little bit about them before but mainly because I feel like you're a very reserved person but once you're approached you have a lot of intellect and life experience to provide. This is a lot like M&S because everyone assume they're similar to other "popular" bands but once you devulge into their lyrics you find that there's a lot of depth. With that being said, I'm excited to get to know you better!
  • Nancy:I give you Red Hot Chili Peppers because although you come off as unfriendly to people it's not true at all. You are  very kind hearted person who has a tough exterior but once someone gives you a chance you prove all of those stereotypes wrong. And also like RHCP you don't take anyones shit, which I love!
  • Mickey: For you I choose Florence and the Machine. I choose F+M because like Florence Welsh you are very deep yet mysterious. I feel like the eery personality of Florence compliments you well.
  • Tara: Of Monsters and Men, OMAM is produces such friendly yet intellectual music. I think that fits you very well! I like that you're so outgoing and able to carry on long conversations with me. I feel that OMAM is very conversational and makes me feel good as I listen!
  • Amanda C: Adele! I choose Adele for you because you are a VERY strong woman who has come along way (from what I see). Despite your hardships you're always so smiley and ready to try the next new thing. I love that!!
  • Amanda S: Taylor Swift, now don't take that the wrong way haha I really like TS because she's a open book but still very shy at the same time. That reminds me of you because you're very warm and relating once we get talking. I know we're going to become good friends :)
  • Andy: Ke$ha! One of my favorites, Ke$ha doesn't care what anybody else in the world thinks, she just does her thing! With that being said, I really admire your personality in that way. Whether it'd be goofiing off, belly dancing or yoga you're always down to try something new.  & that is definitely something I look for in  a friend!!
  • Matt: Lynard Skynard! Don't take this the wrong way. LS is one of my dad's favorite bands and he's taught me to appreciate good music. Like LS, you are very
  • Nicole: For you I pick Jack Johnson. I choose him because like JJ you are bubbly and friendly. JJ's music is always uplifting and fun, which are traits I really admire in you.
  • Leah: I choose Justin Timberlake for you because you are so smooth yet funny! JT is so silky with his lyrics yet hiliarous when he does comedy skits. I also think that like JT you are a very genuine person!
  • Bruce: Incubus for you! (haha just kidding) I choose Lana Del Ray for you. I choose Lana because she is so raw and open just like you. By just listening to her sing you can realize that there is a ton more below the surface, which reminds me a lot of you. But the cool thing is is that she seals off this depth with a beautiful, friendly face just like yours!

2 comments:

  1. Shantell--love this! Very creative and special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is stellar! could have been better if i was incubus but lana del ray is cool too!

    ReplyDelete